Click to log in

After Event Field Day Report

1 post / 0 new
Robert Melle
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Friday, May 3, 2013 - 17:45
After Event Field Day Report

Field Day

June 22 & 23 2013

It was wet, muddy, windy and successful. We set up at Glenburnie Park, Rotary Club pavilion. Dave Warwick, K4DJW is compiling our points and hopefully will have the totals at an upcoming meeting. The day started out raining, but Ed Wafford (W4EDW) stopped by my house and had the Clubs Ecomm Trailer at the site by 8:30. Always nice to have air conditioned dry place to take a break in.

Pete loaned his John Deere generator to the club to run the trailer. Members started showing up before 9:00AM. A special thanks goes to Bill Lindquist, K2UFC, Sid Purvis, WA4VBC, Dick Hallberg, K0UXZ, Ken McCain, K4KDM, Al Parker, W8UT, Mark Rappaport, W2EAG, Ed Wafford, W2EDW, Bob Melle AJ4XS, Dave Warwick, K4DJW, Ray Hemphill, W7OPH, Phil Imhof, K1PHI and a special thanks to Mr. Silver Queen corn himself, Pete Koonce, KA4SXX.

Dave's XYL made enough potato salad to feed a small army, (but we did eat all of it). Phil even brought his XYL Diane to the site and they both helped cook a great supper for all attendees.

We had a special visitor show up. ARRL District Coordinator Bill Morine, N2COP. Bill has been to several of our field days and is an asset to the ham community. He is always smiling and complimented our field day site. He was able to stay for supper with us and enjoyed it very much.

During the event to run fans and battery chargers. I brought my new Honda EU2000i inverter generator. It is very quiet! We had it on the edge of the pavilion and it ran from 10:00 AM until about 1 the next morning on 1 gallon of gas. Most of the time a light load but that is still 15 hours. The generator even handled our new coffee maker.

Late Saturday night we had 2 more visitors stop by and one of them is a ham. Mike Erickson W1WHN. Mike is in the communication business and was working across the street at channel 12. Hopefully he will be at our 11 July Meeting. As in previous years we had several operators but we were all outdone by Bill, K2UFC ( Mr. Field Day). Bill hammered away with his Ten Tec until everyone else was sleeping. I don't know yet how many contacts he made but well over 100.

During our time out there many things were talked about including where to have field day next year. Several members talked about having it at a large parking lot like Lowes or Wal-Mart or even the Mall. One of the reasons is to have it set up like real emergency conditions. The other reason is to have us closer to a larger number of the public. Let the public see what we do and how we handle emergencies without cell phones and permanent structures. If anyone has any other ideas of how we can make this annual event any better let us know. Think about it and bring it up at the next meeting.

We also thought of several items that we want next time like an air tank for the antenna launcher. We are also looking for another mic for the Kenwood 140 radio in the trailer. If you have one to donate thanks ahead of time. Dave, Bill, Pete and myself took it all down Sunday and said our goodbyes. Ed came with his diesel dually and pulled the club trailer back to my house and it is plugged back into commercial power keeping the batteries charged and the refrigerator cold until the next time it is needed, probably the MS bike ride in September.

Another successful Field day in the books for the New Bern Amateur Radio Club. The only problem was sometime in the early morning hours a HT disappeared. I had the radio there for a talk-in station. It was a Yaesu VX 170 with the long, thin spring steel antenna and a swivel belt-clip. If anyone sees one at a Pawn shop or other place for sale please let me or the NBPD know.

Bob Melle AJ4XS